6.24.2012

LAVOS BECKON - WARS FOUGHT WITH THE HERON-MARKED BLADE


With such a dearth of power (or progressive) metal acts plying the local gigscape, the local metal fan might be lulled into thinking that the two intermingling genres are not very well-represented in this neck of the woods. The Quezon City quartet Lavos Beckon may not change that same fan's mind about the lack of representation, but they may very well try. How do they fare? Read on.

If Mass Defect have been doing the circuit for six years before coming up with last year's "Covert Eradicators," the group from Lagro have been slogging it out for nine. During those nine years, the band has been writing material in preparation for an eventual LP, which says something, since not a lot of folks who play in bands 'round these parts think of releasing a two-track teaser, let alone a full-length (a good friend remarks, "...most of the bands in the Philippines beat Iron Maiden from the number of gigs played before they even release a demo." Nothing can be further from the truth, it seems). Now I have in my grubby hands their full-length digipak. Joseph Conde's  cover artwork almost made me drop to my knees like Mike Myers, going "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"

Those who picked up their 2008 EP ""What Was. What Is. What Will Be." will notice improved versions of "...No Bar to My Call," "Red and Black," and "The Halting" (which was actually part of the EP, not as a song, but a videoclip from one of their sets in the now-defunct Center for Arts). The production is ambitious, and does its part in adding flourish to the style of metal played (hey, power metal and theatrics go hand in glove, or, gauntlet). In that respect, the recording does its job, and does it well. The de rigueur mucisianship deserves the clarity of the production, and with repeated spins, the reason for that is just as resoundingly clear. I say de rigueur as one would expect power metal to place equal emphasis on what technical skill brings to the plate with what orchestration contributes on its own. And the orchestration on this disc does not disappoint either, I give you that.

If I am to voice out any misgivings on the LP that I admittedly was waiting with bated breath for, it would be this: the album is too perfect. Homage of the power metal greats (I need not mention them, do I? Any metalhead worth his salt would know of those guys)  is all right in my book, but I'm of the mind that a band might need to show, through their material, what they can do, and be aided, not shackled, by their idols. The shackles are golden, yes, but they still bind and hamper creativity in places that count, rather than enhance it. In that respect, the album's bright lights  are "The Great Duel in the Sky," "No Bar..." and, to a degree, "The Halting."

In closing, I gotta say that this LP, low point notwithstanding, still delivers, and evokes enough accolades from me to wonder how they will fare on later releases. And yeah, the quality of the digipak, coupled with that gorgeous Conde piece, is well worth its Php270 price tag. Way better than the stuff you get in Recto, yeah? [facebook.com/Lavosbeckon.ph]

No comments:

Post a Comment